Friday, August 3, 2007

Perspectives

I’ve discovered that this “blog” thing is much more widespread than I thought. Although I started mine in order to keep all of you updated on what is happening a half a world away, I soon found that several of my friends had their own blogs that were created for their own unique reasons.

My friend Lesa started a blog as a sort of cathartic journal to help keep track of her trials and tribulations as she wrestles with the challenges of raising two children while her Marine husband is deployed in Iraq. I’ve known Alec and Lesa for over a decade now, and had the honor of serving as the best man (obviously a misnomer) in their wedding in Seoul, Korea. They live in San Diego now, but have traveled the globe together, including a three year tour in Lesa’s homeland of Australia. Her blog entries are not as frequent as I would like, but then, she does sort of have her hands full. Click here to take a look.

I’ve got another friend I’ve known for just over a decade who is an emergency room doctor. In deference to his desire for anonymity, so that he can continue to write candid comments on the current state of affairs of our nation’s medical system, I’ll refer to him by his web alter-ego name of 911Doc. In this blog you’ll find that 911Doc has teamed up with 4 other E.D. (Emergency Department – or E.R. if you prefer) physicians to give a no holds barred view of the impending demise of health care as we know it. It is decidedly PG-13 in content (and occasionally Rated R), but frank and to the point. Check it out here.

Finally, in an attempt to single handedly prove that news does not necessarily need to be serious or even factual to be relevant; my nieces husband Kevin publishes the prolific blog that is “Mr. Heavyfoot.” The entries show a viewpoint of the world as processed through the machinations of Kevin’s mind, and the results are often hilarious. Although much of it is aimed at the people most dear to him, many of the entries have universal appeal.

If you find yourself looking for something other then the Sunday paper to enjoy with your morning coffee, I hope you take a look at these.

T.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mr. Tom,
A big thumbs up to you and all of your efforts in Iraq! Keep your positive attitude, your memories of the bunkhouse, and karma will always be on your side. This Wisconsin girl is very proud of you!
Take care,
Sue

Tommy said...

Thanks Sue,
It's 6:50 am here in Iraq and I think that comment should keep a smile plastered on my face for the remainder of the day.
All the best, Tom.

Radioactive Tori said...

I have been lurking here for a while, but never commented. 911 doc is one of my favorites to read and so are you. Thank you for everything you do!

Tommy said...

Radioactive Girl,
Normally I would say thanks for stopping by, I appreciate the kind words. In your case, let me say I am honored that you take the time to read my blog. After looking at yours for a couple of minute, I have to say I'm not only impressed by your incredible writing ability, but humbled by your bravery.
Your story is incredible, and I'm very surprised by the details you recall considering the stress you must have been under. It is 3:45 am in Iraq, and I would have been in bed a couple of hours ago if not for your writings. Thanks!