Thursday, August 23, 2007

News from the sandbox

My time here in the desert is really speeding by, thanks to plenty of missions to keep us busy. The fact that the days are going by quickly is definitely a good thing, because I just got some news I’m not exactly thrilled about. I’ve been EXTENDED.

It’s only an extra month, and the truth is I started preparing for this news from the day I got here. It basically comes down to a buddy of mine missing out on a one in a lifetime opportunity, or me sticking around for 30 more days. It was my choice, so I made him sweat it out a little…just to drive home the point. It’s really not that bad now that the days are starting to cool off a bit. The monetary bonus helps too.

I’m saddened to report the death of my computer. As I write this entry from an extremely slow government computer, I am reminded of the good times we shared together. My constant companion on trips around the world, it helped keep me in touch with all of you and remind me what you all look like. As I anxiously await the arrival of my new computer, I am hoping that I will be able to recover addresses, phone numbers, photos and writings, but I’m not holding my breath. You may be getting an e-mail from me very soon asking for updated contact information.

I imagine everyone is frantically trying to get in the last few activities before admitting to themselves that summer is actually over. I envy you! I plan to cram all the activities I would have been doing this summer into a couple of weeks in San Diego…and moving my long awaited trip to sometime shortly after the new year. I’m also planning to take some time to do a little cross country traveling to see old friends and family when I get back. I won’t make any promises until I find out what is in store for my schedule, but it will be as soon as I can.

The morale around the camp is at an all time high. We’ve culled through the talent and put all the key players are in the right spot to make our mission over here the most effective possible. The work is getting done, and we are getting noticed for it. Although we still operate in crisis management mode the majority of the time, we have gotten it down to an art form and the guys really step up when it’s their turn to shine.

So, the question is inevitably asked: What do I need from all of you to help make my time continue to fly by? Well, it’s the standard “back to school” assignment. Tell me what you did this summer. Stories, pictures, whatever you’ve got. Fill me in so I can have a vicarious summer and catch up on what’s going on in your lives. A lot of you have been doing this all summer anyway, so you’re excused from the assignment…but for the rest of you slackers….give!!!

Looking forward to seeing you all when I get back. As soon as I get my schedule a little more firmly in my grasp, I’ll start making the plans. Hope you’re ready! I know I am.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tom,

The extension doesn't surprise me either. People have asked when you're getting back. I've told them it's supposed to be sometime in September, knowing full well the military doesn't mind extending duties. It also doesn't surprise me that you'd take one for the team and stick it out another month.

This summer has flown by as most everyone's does. The kids went back to school on Monday. Alexis is now in 7th grade and Reece is in 4th. They like their teachers and for now seem anxious to get to school. Short summer for them but next summer will be long as the schools will start getting built and remodeled.

We're finally getting rain here in New Richmond. Along with that we got high winds last week which trashed the town and to the East. The LaCrosse area got about 15 inches of rain in one day. Huge flooding and mud slides. Since then they've got a couple more rains.

Hang in there bud,
Chris

Anonymous said...

Hey Tommy;
You are such a inspiration to us all! Keeping you in our thoughts and prayers always. Love you tons, The Polfus gang

Tommy said...

Hey you guys,
Thanks. Dinner and drinks at Meister's on me when I get back! Lex and Reecy Boy will have a strict one beer limit though. Can wait to see you.
T.

Radioactive Tori said...

I don't know you, so I won't bore you with what I have been up to, but I want to say that you are such an amazing person from what I have read. The fact that you volunteered to extend your stay to help someone else does not surprise me. Thank you for being you.

Tommy said...

Radioactive Girl,
Thank you for the kind words. Doing the right thing within the construct of our life situation isn't such difficult trait to find. If in doubt, read your own blog...it seems to me you're doing it everyday;) Thanks for the inspiration!
I'd love to hear what you've been up to by the way. Your story is incredible, and the fact that you're a fan of my old pal 911Doc basically makes us friends by proxy.

Radioactive Tori said...

I realize you are busy, so feel free to ignore me, but I sent you an email a few days ago that I wasn't sure if you got, and I also just tagged you for a meme (have you done one of those before?) I totally understand that you are busy, so don't worry about either...just wanted to let you know.

Tommy said...

Radioactive Girl,

I didn't get the e-mail. I should explain, however, that this site was set up for me by my buddy Chris. He set it up using his e-mail account, so it's entirely possible that he either hasn't checked his account, or didn't recognize you. I'll have a chat with him.
As far are the Meme goes, I think I recognize it from both your site and MDOD. If I get it I'll definitely do it!

Radioactive Tori said...

OK, now I get it. Do you have an email address that I can email you at? (Listen to how pushy I am!) You can email me at radioactivegirltori AT gmail DOT com if you want so I can send you the email I tried to send. Or ignore me...either way.

The meme was the one where you spell your middle name out and list something about yourself for each letter in it. I did it the other day (in a very long, confusing, and rambling post, so you don't have to read it!)

Hope you are having a great day/night/whatever it is there right now.