Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Send Peanut M & Ms

A contingent of Brits we’ve been working a lot with is getting ready to head home. I’m sorry to see them go…great people. They’ve been taking some big hits over the last several months. The region I work in is the only one controlled by the British, and their convoys have lost significantly more people than ours. We’ve done the e-mail swaps, so I’m hoping to stay in touch so I’ve got some tour guides during my next stay there.

Our temperatures are averaging around 115-120 degrees during the day now, but it really isn’t as bad as I thought it would be. The guys are still getting along great, and despite a need for all of them to blow off steam from time to time, we haven’t had anyone going at each others throats just yet. That’s a big concern living in close quarter, surrounded by the same personalities day after day in this heat.

The work is getting done, and despite some road blocks from time to time they are doing an awesome job with what we’ve got to work with. We all sit around talking about what we miss most about the States, and most of it is pretty obvious. Family, friends, favorites restaurants and bars, and a bunch of conveniences that we all took for granted when we were home.

One of my guys bought a house while he was over here, and another is searching for one everyday on the internet. They both have people at home that are/were able to check things out for them. With all of our income tax-free, it’s amazing what our bank balances are telling us. Who knew Uncle Sam was taking such a big bite. I’m personally buying a Harley Davidson Fatboy Softtail under a special military buying program that should allow me to drive it around for a couple of years and sell it for what I paid for it. I can’t wait!

I’m at the point where I’ve got my head far enough above water to start to consider what I’m going to do when I get back. It looks like the Navy has some jobs to offer me for about 6 months in the San Diego area, which would put me in the position to be able to have a better choice of what I want to fly when I go back to Northwest Airlines (I’m really trying to avoid the DC-9). Before any of that, I’m planning a big trip though. I’m split between the Mediterranean or Central/South America. Palma de Mellorca, Ibiza, Rio, Costa Rica…all I know is it has to have a beach…you know, sand attached to water instead of just to more sand. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I've discovered everything here works on the barter system. If we want something, we have to find something worth trading. Cookies and brownies from home seem to be the preferred commodity...so for those of you that have been asking what to send, there you have it. On a more selfish note, one of those big bags of Peanut M&Ms would make me a happy man. It's funny what you miss out here.

Well, I wish I could fill you in more on what it is we are doing over here. Let’s just say it’s making a difference, and that makes us love our job. Hope you’re all well and enjoying the spring.

T.

4 comments:

911DOC said...

i have a feeling you are about to get a few tons of peanut m&ms!

Tommy said...

Thanks Doc. Just got your e-mail. Can't wait to see what's in the care package...might I venture a guess. Best to Tam and the fam! T.

Anonymous said...

Hi Tommy....
We keep thinking of you daily...and of course, every time I read any story about Iraq...I'm thinking about our safety. As far as your big trip when you come back, I can only go on what I've been told. My boss did the Islands off the coast of Greece during the Olympics and said it was unbelievable. Also, a buddy of mine from the Marines said the best time he ever had was in Montivideo, Uruguay. Great beach and beautiful women. And several friends say they want to move to Chile after visiting. Please ride that Harley down to Kentucky when you get back. We can't wait to hear the stories you can tell upon return. You're always in our prayers....reading your blog is literally like hearing your voice. Thanks for all the info you give us. In Christ, Scott

Tommy said...

Thanks Scott. I appreciate the travel pointers. They all sound good to me, but I'm guessing I can only do two big trips a year so I'll have to pare it down a bit. You're still my favorite anchorman...but Will Farrell is a close second. Take care of that sister of mine and those kids.
T.