Saturday, June 9, 2007

Mortar Attack

The Sat phone has been ringing off the hook all night, and we've got one of those outdoor ringers on it, so it rings LOUD. The rest of the guys have all gone back to their hooches for the night, and since I've taken up residency here in our compound, I'm left to deal with the frantic calls from all of their Stateside bosses and military contacts wondering if they are alright. What exactly are the news reports saying happened here? That the whole base was blown up?
Here's the skinny. Some bad guys with some bad aim launched a couple of mortars (not really rockets) and hit a bunch of the bad guys (I guess I have to say "suspected" bad guys here) who are our permanent guests here in the detainment facility. They also slightly injured one Iraqi guard, but not a single American was injured. Not even a scratch.
We felt the shockwave, we ran to the bunker, and we did a head count. We were doing a mission at the time, and 15 minutes after the attack we had forgotten all about it (well, pretty much anyway). This all happened around 9 am here. Once the United States got out of bed, the news agencies had somehow made it into a huge deal and we all started getting a bunch of e-mails.
Trust me when I say that this is one of the safest bases in Iraq. There are some places that go through this several times a day. I really do appreciate the concern, but I'm safer here than I am on I-5 in San Diego. Seriously!
Hope you're all well and enjoying the summer. I'm expecting more pictures of all the fun I'm missing out on!

T.

2 comments:

Lesa said...

Hi T.
Glad to hear all is ok, You actually took the headlines away from Paris Hilton for all of about on hour on the West Coast (she has been sent to prison, again, just in case you missed it) it did state that it was Iraqi's killed and wounded. Not a happy thought that anyone is being fired at, least of all good friends. However, I think that your time in Korea was probably just as dangerous........crossing the street, driving, eating, ok just kidding.

Take care!

Tommy said...

Lesa,
Poor Paris. Feel bad for her. Is she going to start any prison reality shows while she's there?
As for danger in Korea, you missed the obvious one. Drinking with all of you ex-patriots from around the world...who have better developed livers than we Americans!
T.